Repeating the past is what it's all about for the enthusiastic attendees of the Gatsby Summer Afternoon, coming up on Sunday, September 12th at the Dunsmuir Hellman Historic Estate in the Oakland Hills. This annual event is sponsored by the Art Deco Society of California and is in its 26th year.
Several hundred people each year gather on the lovely front lawns of Dunsmuir Hellman House and recreate the 1920s by dressing the part and setting up picnic sites. Adding to the ambiance are classic cars and live jazz music. Some people take months to plan elaborate table decorations including china and crystal champagne flutes while others go simple with a blanket and tea sandwiches. Everyone is encouraged to use vintage furnishings, keeping the day as authentic as possible. For those new to the concept, The Art Deco Society provides a detailed guide on their website offering tips from food to fashion.
- Don Neely's Royal Society Jazz Orchestra with Carla Normand and Fredrick Hodges
- The Great Gatsby Bathing Beauty Revue with the DecoBelles
- Vocals by Ann Gibson with Frederick Hodges on the piano
- Crowning of the new Miss Art Deco
- Grand Motor Car Exhibit
- Wine Tasting
- Dunsmuir House Tours
- Croquet Lessons
- Prizes for Best Picnic Site, Best Costumes (men, women, children), and Best Charleston
Get your wiggle on and join the Art Deco Society of California at the Gatsby Summer Afternoon, Sunday September 12th, 1pm-6pm at Dunsmuir Hellman House, 2960 Peralta Oaks Court, Oakland. For tickets and more information visit: http://www.artdecosociety.org/gatsby/